Dear colleagues,

I'm happy to announce a new project based on the historical archives of theater at Yale, including over 12,000 pages of programs from the beginnings of the Department of Drama in 1925 through the 2015-2016 season. It's called Ensemble@Yale (http://ensemble.yale.edu<http://ensemble.yale.edu/>).

Inspired by the original Ensemble<http://ensemble.nypl.org/> project from NYPL Labs, Ensemble@Yale is an experiment that aims to transform historic programs (mostly from the School of Drama and Yale Repertory Theatre) into searchable text through crowdsourced transcription. Rather than reproducing all of the words in a digitized document with optical character recognition (OCR), crowdsourced transcription relies on human judgment to select particular features of interest to researchers and create a database with which we can answer questions like "What is the most-produced play at Yale?" or "Which actors have played Hamlet onstage at Yale?" We eventually hope to be able to do other cool things with the data, such as visualizations and networks, and to expand beyond this initial pilot to more comprehensively represent the history of theater at Yale. We intend the code and the data model to be useful to other theater collections. I hope you'll be as excited as I am about this project and get inspired to do some marking and transcribing--to be part of the crowd in crowdsourcing!

Many thanks to Doug Reside at NYPLPA, the team at NYPL Labs, and Yale Rep for their support, to my Arts Library team for scanning and user testing, and to the staff of the Digital Humanities Laboratory in Sterling Memorial Library for building the beautiful interface.

Best regards,

Lindsay

Lindsay King
Associate Director for Access and Research Services
Robert B. Haas Family Arts Library, Yale University
180 York Street     P.O. Box 208318
New Haven, CT 06520-8318
T: 203-436-8052
she/her/hers