Dear ARLIS Collective Wisdom,

In order to create a timeline involving an architect's possible exposure to the content of the August 1938 issue of Architectural Record, I am attempting to find out when that issue was available to its readers. I feel confident that the architect in question, or his firm, would have subscribed, but I currently have no proof. No issues of or clippings from the Record are among his papers.

 I am working on the assumption that the magazine was mailed out, and probably received in-home, in-office, or in-library, during July 1938, but having some reasonable confirmation of this likelihood would be valuable.  Janet Parks at the Avery Library kindly checked to see whether serials acquisitions logs from that era were still available at Columbia; but alas, only the bindery records exist.

Does anyone work at an institution that might retain such data from 79 years ago? Would individual issues in a bound volume still have a discernible date-received stamp on the physical piece?  I do realize that the mail-out date could have been days or weeks earlier than any recorded received/checked-in date. It is my hope to discover evidence that a subscriber (personal or institutional) could have had access to this issue in July 1938, but I will be grateful for any information that any of you might be able to provide, or any suggestions you may have!

Thanks to all,

Sally Stokes