Dear colleagues

(with apologies for cross-posting)

Here at the National Gallery Library (London) we have an auxiliary library for conservation science and technical art history of about 2500 volumes, which for some years led a separate life from the Gallery’s main Library. It is arranged by UDC classification, which we do not use in the main Library and which staff find unwieldy; consequently we are contemplating switching to a different classification scheme.

I would be interested to hear from other libraries, especially museum libraries, which have a comparable conservation science collection:

·         what classification scheme do they use for this collection?

·         what are the pluses and minuses?

·         if they have an in-house scheme, for example, a system using broad categories rather than a full-blown classification, would they be willing to share it?

Please reply to me off-list. If there is a demand, I would be happy to compile responses and circulate in due course.

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Jonathan Franklin

Librarian

The National Gallery

Trafalgar Square, London, WC2N 5DN

Tel. 020 7747 2522

Email: [log in to unmask]

The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DN
The Credit Suisse Exhibition: Michelangelo & Sebastiano