Dear ARLIS colleagues,

I am writing to let you know that the contents of the basement of the Greenfield Library of the University of the Arts Libraries were severely damaged over the weekend from a flood caused by a burst in the fire service line. There was 12 feet of water in the basement. Yes, 12 feet! We have identified collections needing priority care and they have been removed or will be removed today for restorative services.

The first floor of the library and other library spaces in the building were not damaged but we are not permitted to occupy the building. Library staff are all working from the Music Library. which is a block away in the Merriam Building, and are continuing our services to UArts faculty and students from there.

Thanks to so many of you who have seen this news on Facebook and have reached out to communicate concern and offers of assistance; we appreciate it more than words can convey. There is not much any of us can do at this point, but we will keep your offers in mind as we move forward.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I may not be able to respond as quickly as I would like, but know that your expressions of concern are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Carol

Carol H. Graney

Associate Provost and Director of University Libraries

The University of the Arts

320 South Broad Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102

(215) 717-6281