Hi all,

Your 2017-2018 Artist Files SIG Co-Coordinators welcome you to one of the liveliest SIGs under the ARLIS/NA umbrella. We've got some exciting projects planned for our term, and we hope you'll be interested in knowing about the work we have in the pipeline. I've copied below a range of proposed projects for 2017 **. Already a lot has been accomplished, especially related to improving the SIG's website, artistfiles.arlisna.org. We recently loaded the SIG's meeting minutes there, which document our activity over the years.

Our central project for 2017 is migrating the Artist Files Revealed: Online Directory to a new platform.The culmination of many years' work and one of our SIG's signature accomplishments, this directory will be relaunched (and we hope improved) on the SIG's Wordpress site, artistfiles.arlisna.org. Today we're making a call for a group of three to four members who are ready to roll up their sleeves and help with the data wrangling and programming of the new directory. If you feel you have a good amount of experience working in Wordpress and an interest in artist files-related data, please let me know. We've already done some foundation work in terms of preparing the old data for review before we move it to the new platform. You can access the links in the table below to view the data from the old site if you're interested.

Otherwise, if you're interested in becoming a member of our SIG, taking an invested role in some of the other projects listed below, or becoming a regular blogger for the site, we'll set you up with an account which allows you to write content for the site and also enables access to our planning documents.

Regarding the blog, I've posted a new entry to start us off: artistfiles.arlisna.org/why-are-artist-files-so-special/. I'm interested in hearing your ideas about a regular series focusing on artist files-related content.

** Keep in mind that the table pasted below comes from a larger planning document, and it will change as we refine our work and make progress throughout the year. If you become an active member on one of our projects, you'll get access to this planning document.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Sam and Alex

Samuel Duncan
Head of Library and Archives
Amon Carter Museum of American Art
817.989.5042

Alexandra Reigle

Reference Librarian

Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery Library

Projects to Complete in 2017

2018 ARLIS/NA New York Programming Proposal? Call was made via ARLIS-L — no one responded with any proposals
Extended due date May 8, 2017
Maybe we could do a poster session?
Database Migration Project
  1. Make call for about 3-4 SIG members to help with project.
  2. Review old fields (all 190 of them!) and determine new set of fields. We need to simplify. BIG shout out to Terry Brady, Applications Programmer Analyst, Georgetown University Library Information Technology, for writing the script to transform the data in these sheets.
  3. Presently the best choice for hosting the new directory is artistfiles.arlisna.org (per phone call with Kim Collins on 2017-05-10)
  4. Determine best WordPress environment to support new directory:
    1. https://www.advancedcustomfields.com ?
    2. Sam will reach out to Fort Worth WordPress user’s group for guidance.
  5. Migrate the data from the previous system.

See Artist Files Revealed Online Directory Migration

Agree on a mission statement and update it across various communication channels Old Mission Statement

Part of the Art Libraries Society of North America, the Artist Files Special Interest Group is interested in the preservation, promotion and accessibility of artist files. To this end, we collaborate, develop resources and contribute to scholarship on artists files collections and ephemera in all forms.

“Statement of Purpose” from ARLIS/NA Policy Manual

Retrieved: 2017-04-13

Artist Files Special Interest Group

NEED TO UPDATE: STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: The Artist Files SIG works to create a small (focused) born- digital web archive of various artists. Partnering with Archive-It, they are creating a curated set of material that will allow the SIG to demonstrate the potential and future possibilities of the tools available for capturing artist file information that is not being actively archived at the moment.

NEED TO UPDATE HISTORY: First established – 2009?

Moderators: Samantha Deutch and Sally McKay, 2012-2013; Samantha Deutch and Sally McKay, 2013-2014; Samantha Deutch and Sally McKay, 2014-2015

Update website
  • Placed mission statement in a prominent place that is always visible in primary sidebar on left
  • Changed main menu options
  • Added minutes page and uploaded documents
  • Tweaked overall site, adjusted typography, added “about us” sidebar”; updated leadership details and leadership history
  • Cleaned up documents with extensive work on CSS; clearly commented CSS code to explain what code does
  • 2017-05-05 Added TML plugin to enable theming the login page and set up automatic loading of specific pages based on login
  • 2017-05-05 Installed TinyMCE advanced for enhanced editing, especially for table editing
  • 2017-05-06: added Custom CSS plugin to facilitate adding add-on CSS code
  • Added hi-res ARLIS/NA logo
Update “Resources” document Any takers? I’ve placed a few unformatted items at the bottom that need to be worked into the document.
Delete SIG’s listserv? [log in to unmask]

Anne Simmons exported subscribers on 2017-05-03

Sam Duncan: Our free listserv does not support archiving. I argue we don’t need it and should investigate adding a forum/discussion board such as wpForo or WordPress Forum to this site.

Corral SIG minutes from conference websites to SIG site DONE: http://artistfiles.arlisna.org/minutes-and-reports/
Create leadership history page per Sam Deutch. DONE
Provide links to any local artist files policies and procedures documents?
Update ARLIS/NA Research & Reports page by adding link to Artist Files Revealed: Documentation and Access https://www.arlisna.org/publications/arlis-na-research-reports
Follow up on 2010 digital survey http://artistfiles.arlisna.org/digital-survey-2010/