Hi ARLIS,

Many of us have been hosting Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathons the last few years at our home institutions. This year, at UC Irvine we are focusing our efforts on women book artists. For example did you know that notable artists and other figures critical to the trajectory of artists’ books such as Joan Hugo, Barbara Moore, Betty Bright, and Carol Schwartzott have no Wikipedia pages? Important publications such as Avalanche, Journal of Artists’ Books, and Umbrella are likewise missing from Wikipedia. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

We’ll be hosting our in-person Wikipedia Editathon Friday, April 7, but we have partnered additionally with Women in Red, a Wikipedia user group dedicated to improving Wikipedia’s coverage of women’s biographies and other related topics to extend the impact of our event. Throughout the month of April, WiR are hosting a virtual editathon dedicated to women book artists. Here’s the meetup page with additional resources and suggestions for article creation and improvements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Women_in_Red/Meetup/40

I’d like to cordially invite you all to participate if you have time and inclination, and otherwise if you have suggestions for other book artists/book arts topics to include please let me know!

Gratefully,

Emilee

Emilee Mathews

Research Librarian for Visual Arts

Liaison to Art, Art History, Film & Media Studies, and the Visual Studies Program

University of California, Irvine

PO Box 19557 Zot 8100

Irvine, CA 92623

(949) 824-6672