The remembrances of Bill Walker posted here have been touching and affectionate.  And they couldn’t have been more truthful.  Our collective expressions of warmth and admiration reflect the respect Bill had for his colleagues and staff.

Bill hired me in 1992 to work in Watson Library.  I was a bit of an “outlier,” never having worked in a museum library or an art research library.  When I started, he guided and mentored me with exquisite kindness and patience.  Being the newest staff member on board just as the library’s first online catalog was being implemented, he assigned me the task of “scribe,” recording the issues and decisions of the library task force he had assembled to work through the implementation issues, thereby insuring that I would quickly learn all of the ins and outs of the OPAC-in-process, and mesh with the involved staff.  It was a crash course and a vote of confidence.

He was like that – an enabler, an advocate, always kind with the occasional flash of biting humor which was a reminder of how interesting and complex he was.  He and John were an enduring couple, always delightful together, and wonderful foils for each other. Bill was an accomplished painter, always modest but passionate and fearless as he experimented with various styles and media. One of his paintings occupies pride of place in my home. I treasure it, the brief time I worked with Bill, and the times I saw him and John in the years that followed.

Linda Seckelson

Sent from Mail for Windows 10