Good afternoon,

Our library was recently offered a sizable collection of research files from a noteworthy art historian who passed away in 2015. The material is focused on American art, and a site visit showed that it would likely have a lot of duplication with our own existing vertical file collection. However, I would like to assist the widow in helping place this material in an art library or research facility that would like to substantially increase it holdings of American artists and movements.

In summary, the material is:

28 files drawers in 8 filing cabinets—well-organized by artist or school

60 binders of clippings—well-organized by artist or school

18-20 semi-organized “banker” boxes

20 miscellaneous boxes that include clippings, serial and journal issues, CD-roms

Images—100 binders of slides, digital images on his personal PC (~65 gigs)

The contents overall are primarily published ephemera, including newspaper clippings, journal articles, personal email and website print-outs, exhibition announcements, pamphlets and gallery press releases. There are quite a few notebooks with his own notes and research. These focus on 19th, 20th and 21st century American artists, and there are general subject break-outs to some of the files, such as African American artists, Photographers, etc. These numbers include 4 boxes with international artists. In addition, there are images in the form of slides and his personal photographs or images downloaded from myriad web sources.

The book collection was donated to the Farnsworth Art Museum, and for this, there is no obligation for a library to retain everything, or even take everything (I mentioned that it would be a hard-sell to get anyone to take old slide collections!)

If interested, please let me know. I can send you the name of the art historian, offer pictures of some of the contents, and put you in touch with the right party here in DC.

Thank you!

~Anne

Anne Evenhaugen

Librarian, Head

Smithsonian American Art and Portrait Gallery Library

202.633.8227

http://library.si.edu/libraries/aapg

[log in to unmask]" alt="SLdots">