Thanks to all for sharing their warm memories of such a good friend and
mentor to all of us who have devoted their careers to art librarianship,
maybe because of the presence of colleagues like Bill who exemplified the
best that ARLIS has to offer.

One of most vivid memories of Bill was at the membership meeting during the
ARLIS/NA annual conference in Providence in 1994; at the meeting, we were
all agonizing over an invitation to hold the 1997 conference in Cincinnati,
which had only recently passed a city ordinance that came to known as the
'anti-gay' ordinance.  My recollection is that the discussion wasn't really
reaching any resolution until Bill, in his quietly authoritative way, stood
up to say that he "didn't think we should meet there," full stop.  That was
it, end of discussion.

The Texas chapter looked at each other, gulped, and Allen Townsend
volunteered the chapter to host the conference in San Antonio in 1997.  At
the post-conference board meeting that year, the Board voted to move the
annual conference to Texas in 1997.  But I firmly believe Bill moved the
needle forward to make that happen.  He is missed.

Milan R. Hughston