Please feel free to join us on Twitter tonight using #arlisriss. Please see
email below for details.

Best,
Amanda

On Mar 17, 2017 2:35 PM, "Amanda Meeks" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello ARLIS,

During our annual meeting in February RISS considered a few items that we
would like to pass along and invite conversation around. You may view
meeting notes here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z0Hcyb4eFX9kISaq_uNoCHsEzlvbqDuzRse57uuQSJ8/edit?usp=sharing>
.* Please read the bullets below and respond with any input, questions, or
concerns via email OR by participating in the Twitter chat on March 28th,
2017 at 9pm EST/6pm PST.*

   - Our current name is "*Reference* and information services section" and
   it was unanimously agreed upon at the conference to change this to "
   *Research* and information services section" in order to reflect current
   membership and the evolving nature of reference/research services.
   - Our current mission
   <https://www.arlisna.org/organization/sections/97-reference-and-information-services-section>
   is also under revision. During the conference we collaboratively worked to
   identify who we are as a group, what we do, and why we do it. Based on this
   exercise
   <https://rissarlisna.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/revising-our-mission-and-goals/>
   and the themes that came out of it RISS leadership has developed a *new
   mission* and *three succinct goals*:

*Mission**:* RISS is a community of practice comprising researchers and
educators from cultural and arts institutions across North America. We are
public facing professionals working in academic libraries, archives, and
museum communities. We shape creative practice by educating our users about
the contemporary information landscape and guiding the development of
research skills and the habits of mind necessary for lifelong learning,
critical thinking, fostering creative confidence, and building a community
that supports and enriches the arts and humanities.

Goals:

   - Foster open, transparent communication to analyze current issues,
   trends, and developments in research and information services within ARLIS
   - Model critical and reflective practice in our profession to encourage
   creativity and positive change in our community
   - Collaborate with other sections, divisions, and SIGs to advocate for
   projects that further information and visual literacy within the arts and
   humanities

To provide input on the name change and/or the mission/goals by email
please *reply by March 27th*. If you would like to join the Twitter chat
conversation on this topic,* we will be meeting to discuss on March 28th at
9pm EST/6pm PST; all may use the #ARLISriss hashtag to join or follow
along.* We will also discuss working groups during the chat, so please come
with your ideas and enthusiasm!

*Thank you* and I look forward to hearing from you!

Amanda Meeks // RISS Moderator

--
Professional Portfolio <https://amandammeeks.wordpress.com/>