Hi Seth,

There was a very informative online presentation through ALA's CopyTalk program earlier this year that discusses U.S. Section 108 Copyright Law in regards to VHS tape conversion for preservation and the Section 108 Due Diligence Project
This is the link to the presentation: https://ala.adobeconnect.com/_a1087453682/p8hmj7h0cgo/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal
It was given by Deg Farrelly from Arizona State University. I think this will help you make informed decisions when dealing with VHS conversion.
The presentation had some technical issues, but they weren't that disruptive.

I don't have a lot of experience converting VHS tapes. Personally, and i"m not a lawyer, but merely have great interest in copyright, I certainly would make copies of VHS tapes where DVD formats did not exist, for preservation reasons. We have done this here at Stony Brook University for a department that took homemade videos of departmental events. We converted VHS to a digital format. These videos will be used for teaching and classroom use.
Currently, we are using the Section 108 Due Diligence Project for our VHS collection that is for loan.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me at this email or my Stony Brook email (below) with any questions.

Best,
Victoria

Victoria Pilato
Digital Projects Librarian
Stony Brook University
Frank Melville Jr Memorial Library, W-2527
631.632.9959