Iıd just like to say how very sad I was to read about the death of Bill
Walker.  I have very fond memories of the first time I met him.
It was back in 1987 and I had recently left my job as an art librarian to
launch Design and Applied Arts Index. In those days (pre WWW)
it came out only in print format. In a push to acquire subscribers in there
States, I flew to New York and over a period of two days trekked
around all the major academic, public and museum libraries hawking my index
like an encyclopaedia salesman. I didnıt make any appointments
but just turned up unannounced and asked if I could show my product to the
appropriate librarian.  The first place I visited was the Met Library.
Despite no doubt being extremely busy, Bill Watson not only agreed to see
me, but invited me to tea.  He was so kind, courteous and generous
with his time. Many a person in his position would no doubt have refused to
see me and shown me the door, but instead he examined the index there
and then, and asked what my plans were for the future. At the end of our
meeting, which must have been at least half an hour, he told me that he
was sufficiently impressed with the index and would be placing an order.
This was the first subscriber to DAAI in the States.

Someone later told me the he was a "true Southern gentleman² and he
certainly was that. In fact I think he was one of the kindest people I have
met.
It was his words of encouragement at that first meeting that persuaded me to
continue with the enterprise, for which I will be forever grateful.

Chris Mees
Editor ­ Arts: Search