From Clive Phillpot:

I am sad to hear of Bill Walker’s passing.
I well remember my first meeting with Bill. It was in the Spring of 1976 when a delegation of American art librarians, led by Judy Hoffberg, arrived in London to attend the first international conference on art libraries. On that day - at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London - I met, for the first time, two of the Mount Rushmore figures of American art librarianship: Bill Walker and Wolfgang Freitag. Little did I realize then that within a short time the two of them would be colleagues and friends.
After my arrival in the USA at the end of 1977, I attended meetings and conferences and saw much more of Bill and Wolfgang. I also paid visits to Washington and met Bill together with Kathy Martinez in their magnificent library. Then very soon Bill moved to New York and to the Metropolitan Museum in1980 and thereafter our paths crossed regularly, not only through ARLIS - local and national, but also SLA, IFLA, The Archives of American Art, and the ‘secret society’ known as The Archons of Colophon.
One of the most enjoyable and rewarding episodes in my professional life  was working with Bill, Nancy Allen and Deirdre Lawrence to raise funds for the recon of the Met, MoMA, MFA and Brooklyn Museums. An egalitarian and fruitful partnership.
Bill’s sense of humour was another of his qualities beyond his professional wisdom and diplomacy. I remember his generosity in inviting the ARLIS Board - then holding its mid-year meeting in Washington - back to his home. And after a long day there was John Balkema waiting for us. Bill’s greeting to John was: “Did you think I had run off to join the circus?”
Time passes . . .
Clive Phillpot.

PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this information without our prior consent is strictly prohibited. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of the Architectural Association (Inc.). If you have any doubts as to the authenticity of this e-mail please contact either the sender or the Architectural Association directly. The Architectural Association, Inc. is a Registered Charity Incorporated as a Company limited by guarantee. Registered in England No. 171402. Registered office: 36 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3ES.

VIRUS WARNING
The contents of any attachment to this email may contain software viruses that could damage your own computer system. While the Architectural Association (Inc.) has taken reasonable precautions to minimize this risk, it cannot accept liability for any damage that you suffer as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

[Architectural Association]