Dear ARLISians,

I’m assisting our curatorial team with shoring up some object file documentation. We are trying to determine if an object in the Seattle Art Museum’s collection is illustrated in a volume of the Encyclopędia Iranica. The full citation is: Yar-Shater, Ehsan. Encyclopędia Iranica. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1985-. If your institution owns this work, would you assist me?

The object in question is a Persian miniature: “Miniature of a Bird and Scene of Lovers with an Attendant” (1629-1635), Riza Abbasi (Persian, died 1635)*. Our only clue is that someone completed a rights and reproduction form for its use in 1992 . That leads us to believe it could be published in Volume 5 (Carpets – Coffee , 1992) or Volume 6 (Coffeehouse – Dara, 1993). We don’t know the entry, unfortunately.

If you own this set and are able to assist me, I would greatly appreciate confirmation of volume, with page number, plate number, etc. A scan with the title page would be even more appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Best,
Traci

*To see an image of the work in question, go to our online collection search page, and type 50.111 in the search box (apologies that I can’t give you a direct URL for the piece!)

Traci Timmons, M.A., M.L.I.S.

Librarian, Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library

Seattle Art Museum

1300 First Avenue

Seattle, WA 98101

Phone: 206-654-3220

Email: [log in to unmask]

Library website: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/programs-and-learning/libraries-and-resources

SEEING NATURE / Seattle Art Museum / Feb 16 – May 23

JACOB LAWRENCE / Seattle Art Museum / Jan 21 – Apr 23
TABAIMO / Asian Art Museum / Nov 11 2016 – Feb 26 2017
Get tickets at
visitsam.org/tickets

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Olympic Sculpture Park!