Good morning ARLIS/NA,

I would like to share a project to digitize and transcribe several volumes of personal scrapbooks of original manuscript material for the first director of the original National Gallery of Art (now the Smithsonian American Art Museum.) Along with the Smithsonian Institution Archives, Biodiversity Heritage Library, Smithsonian Field Book Project and the Smithsonian Transcription Center, the Smithsonian Libraries is hosting the #ManyHatsofHolmes transcription event to encourage volunteers worldwide to help transcribe these materials online.

Today we are kicking off our two weeks of cyber-celebrations of William Henry Holmes, Renaissance Man of the Smithsonian, archeologist, anthropologist, artist and the first curator and director of the National Gallery of Art from 1906-1932. From November 28-December 9, our social media channels will be featuring stories and images describing his importance within the Smithsonian and beyond. We hope to bring more visibility to a very interesting individual, but also to spark excitement to help transcribe the first few volumes of Holmes “Random Records”. Here is how we hope you all can help:

Transcribe! It is easy to become a volunteer from anywhere, and you’ll be able to put Holmes’ own words and the collected accolades from others into a searchable format, making them easy for future scholars and history-buffs to find out more! It took me just a few minutes to sign up and read the instructions, and I am happy to report that just in the last day, we already have 60% of Volume 3 already transcribed by more than 20 volunteers! There is more information here: https://transcription.si.edu

Read! There will be a number of blog posts in the next two weeks across several different Smithsonian blogs, including the first one (check out that camp pancake!): https://blog.library.si.edu/2016/11/manyhatsofholmes

Look! There will be images of Holmes and anecdotes and pictures from his “Random Records” on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Tumblr throughout the Holmes-a-palooza. The final day will include a behind-the-scenes virtual tour of WHH’s artwork held at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, led by senior curator Eleanor Harvey. This will be broadcast on the Libraries’ Facebook Live on Friday December 9th at 2:30 EST (and will be available after the event!)

Share! We will add the social media hashtag #ManyHatsofHolmes to all of our posts, which you will be able to search using Google to see all of the postings across platforms. And we hope you’ll share!

Let me know if you have any questions, and please help transcribe!

~Anne

Anne Evenhaugen

Librarian, Head

Smithsonian American Art and Portrait Gallery Library

202.633.8227

http://library.si.edu/libraries/aapg

[log in to unmask]" alt="SLdots">