Dear All
this year, November 4 was the anniversary of the flood of 1966.
All of us who suffered and witnessed that terrible night, were together to
to save the Florence masterpieces, the people and history!!!!
All the world was helpful to us, and especially the American people.
I was there too, young student among others to save the patrimony of Florence Biblioteca Nazionale..
I remember prf. Procacci crying when he saw the Cimabue Crucifix..a terrible loss!!!
I remember the Battistero doors, smashed by the fury of the water......
and people crying because they lost everything they had!!!
The Salimbeni bookstore, one of the oldest in Florence and well known for his special
collections,was completley destroied by the flood.
However the book store is know on his feet!! and continue his cultural
contribution to Florence and all Italy and more.
In the occasion of this 50 years anniversary, the direcor and owner, Graziella Salimbeni, has published a
very complete bibliography on the flood, since the beginning up to know.
If somebody is interested to look at this wonderful cultural tool,
please let me know. I can send the link to the Salimbeni web page where
you can look at the bibliography and learn more about the bookstore.
With all my love for my Florence,
I send you my best
Annamaria Poma Swank, PhD