Dear ARLIS-L,

I am striking out in my research efforts on Jewish students in art schools and colleges.

Working at an institution founded in 1876, I've often wondered what the early admissions policies were. I've never found a document announcing the admission of any particular group; as far as I can tell the school was always open to all, but just because I can't find documented discrimination doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

In Philadelphia in particular I've wondered about the original incarnation of UArts, which was the Pennsylvania Museum & School of Industrial Art (PMSIA), in comparison with the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA), founded 1805. Were working-class students more welcome at PMSIA than at PAFA? (I would guess that they were, but what do I know.)

Any suggestions? Any search tips? Thank you!

Sara MacDonald

Public Services Librarian, University Libraries

The University of the Arts

320 South Broad Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102

(215) 717-6282