Hello!

I recently began volunteering at a small art museum library. They currently have no librarian and while I have my MLIS I've never worked in an art library before.

In the past different librarians have tried different methods of classifying their collections with the result being that some of the collection is arranged by Dewey, some of it by LOC and some of it by nothing at all.

I've only just started, so my first order of business on my next visit is to try to get a better idea of what all the collection contains. But since I don't have any experience with this specific type of library, I'm also hoping to get a sense of what other art libraries tend to do. Just from looking at websites for several dozen art museums around the country, it looks like across the board their libraries use LOC. Is this actually the case? What classification does your library use? Any general advice as I begin working with this collection? Anything specific to art libraries I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Katie Bliss