To those who asked for a recap of the sources suggested for locating data sets for art sales, here is a quick summary:

Mei Moses Index  - previously this was a good source for this type of data but the index appears to no longer be available.

Getty Provenance Index – currently allows for downloading data in a CSV format, and is working on a Linked Open Data project.

Artnet Analytics – in addition to the standard subscription for Artnet, there is a subscription option for Artnet Analytics to give researchers access to data, as well as more affordable options for one-time reports to get customized data sets to researchers. This is the option that worked best for our student as his interest was in contemporary art.

I hope this is helpful to others. Thanks to all who replied and shared your wisdom!

Best,

Jessica

Jessica Evans Brady

Research & Collections Librarian