Hello,

At the Emily Carr University of Art and Design Library in Vancouver we
have upwards of 1800 artist's books in our collection. Community use is
heavy, we have quite a few classes (8-10) each semester that come to
learn and see the collection usually based on some sort of theme or
topic the instructor has requested. Individual students or group of
students also use the collection frequently. Currently all of the books
are in locked cabinets so a request has to be made to unlock the drawers
for viewing. Next summer when we move into our new library the artist's
books will have it's own reading room which will allow for more of the
collection to be out in the open more frequently.

Our collection development has a bias towards contemporary and regional
(Vancouver especially) but we do collect books from international
artists. As well, our collection generally follows the Printed Matter
definition of artist's books: “mass produced, relatively cheap, and
accessible to a broad public."

If anyone is interested we have more information about our collection on
our wordpress site:

http://blogs.eciad.ca/artistbookcollection/

Ken