From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Evans, Jon
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 5:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Mexico City!

Dear colleagues,

Members of the ARLIS/NA Texas-Mexico chapter (and a group of welcome
interlopers who are now card-carrying chapter members!) gathered in Mexico
City this past week for our annual conference.  It proved to be a most
memorable and invigorating experience, not only because of the sites,
sounds, tastes, and smells of this incredible city, but due to the
graciousness of the information professionals who welcomed us to their city
and into their institutions.

Our troop of 15 attendees from throughout Canada (2 provinces), Mexico, and
the U.S. (4 states) visited 7 libraries and archives, 9 museums, 1
university (of more than 340,000 students!), and 10 architectural sites of
note – not to mention the many locales that folks visited independently.
Over 4 days, we met more than 17 information professionals, 7 museum
administrators or educators, and 3 conservators. That said, the numbers
alone don’t do the experience justice. And of course, this says nothing
about the food …

The conference planning team included Craig Bunch, Fernando Corona, Lauren
Gottlieb-Miller, Joel Pelanne, Elizabeth Schaub, and myself. Each played a
key role in the success of the event from start to finish. In particular,
Mexico City native Fernando Corona was invaluable in shepherding our troop,
serving as translator when necessary, making connections with new contacts,
and opening doors to rich collections. We remain ever thankful and grateful
to him.

While there we gathered for a fruitful round-table discussion and heard from
Mexican colleagues from no less than 7 institutions (MUNAL, Museo Franz
Mayer, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Biblioteca Miguel Lerdo de Tejada, Banamex,
Fomento Cultural Banamex, and MUAC) about their current challenges and
opportunities. We also learned about organizations in which they are
engaged, including the Arts Section of AMBAC <https://www.ambac.org.mx/>
(Asociación Mexicana de Bibliotecarios), a fledgling consortial group of
downtown libraries, and REBAM. We shared information about ARLIS/NA and
ARLIS/NA Texas-Mexico, as well as ways to get involved in our organization
and opportunities for conference attendance support. This was followed by a
Pecha Kucha-style program on “Latin American Collections & Connections”
moderated by Lauren Gottlieb-Miller that involved 4 diverse presentations by
Susan Bissonnette, Gabrielle Reed, Shari Salisbury, and myself.

Among the chief objectives for the conference was to build closer ties with
our Mexican counterparts. To this end, we’ve already received feedback from
several Mexican colleagues who have expressed interest in joining both the
chapter and the Society. We’ll be working with the Executive Board and the
IRC to make this a reality in the near future. Additionally, we’ve been
discussing the possibility of affiliating with select organizations to
further strengthen connections.

We were fortunate to have the patronage of three generous sponsors: Howard
Karno Books, Inc., Citibanamex, and Museo Nacional de Arte. We thank them
for their vital support of this endeavor and their furthering of
international relations.

Lastly, at our chapter business meeting we unanimously supported the notion
that we make Mexico a destination for future chapter meetings at least once
every 5 years to build on the foundation that this conference and previous
IRC and IFLA events have established. Our hope and vision is that this will
ultimately lead to an ARLIS/NA conference in Mexico in the not-too-distant
future so that the rest of the Society can experience what we just did!

Regards,

Jon

Jon Evans

President, ARLIS/NA Texas-Mexico