Hello ARLIS Collective Mind,

I am a relatively new cataloger and I predominately do copy and adaptive cataloging for art exhibition catalogs, but I've noticed a recent trend in AEC materials published in 2015-2016 where the items' catalog records have no 100 field when the publication is for a single artist's exhibition but instead have some variation of "700 12 Artist name. $t Photographs. $k Selections."  In many of these cases, where the call number does not tie directly to the author (i.e. ND237.B554 A4 2016 etc.), the cutter number is still done by artist's last name instead of by the main access point--which makes me think that there may have been, at some point, a 100 field for the artist.

Has there been an update to prefer the 700 field access points for artists over the 100 field or to include them as well as the 100 fields in AEC's?  Is it a matter of whether the artist is living or dead or whether they played an active role in creating the exhibition? Is this a vendor-record feature?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Kelsey George

Cataloging & Metadata Assistant, MLIS