Dear Friends,

In what seems to be a mini-trend, I too am joining the ranks of those retiring from long careers in art librarianship; in my case, 37 years.

I have had the extraordinary luck of serving two institutions where research and scholarship are valued:  20 years at the Amon Carter Museum of American Art and 17 years at The Museum of Modern Art.  In both places, I was able to do things that we all aspire to:  build the collections, promote technology, and plan new spaces.

A wonderful network of colleagues, curators, architects, and booksellers all contributed mightily to my pleasure in doing this, and I stand on the shoulders of those who came before me.  But perhaps ARLIS has been at the center of all of it, providing forums for strategizing, celebrating, complaining, and laughing.   It's immensely gratifying to see the Society is such good shape, intellectually and financially.  Like Daniel Starr and others, I plan to hover in the corridors of conference hotels, keeping up with old friends and meeting new ones, and especially look forward to welcoming you to New York in 2018.

I don't leave MoMA until September 30th, and after that can be reached at [log in to unmask].  Onward!

Milan R. Hughston
Chief of Library
The Museum of Modern Art
11 W. 53rd St.