Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

The ARLIS/NA Yearlong Career Mentoring Program will be sending out the call for mentors in early September and we’d love for you to consider volunteering to be a mentor!

Our program begins with a workshop at the 2017 New Orleans conference and continues until the 2018 New York City conference.  The program has matched dozens of art library professionals in successful mentoring relationships and contributes to the wonderful bonds we have with each other for which the Society is known.

The theme for the upcoming New Orleans program will be Leadership.  We’re looking for mentors with experience in leadership roles (from project management to department management and everything in between).  You will share your experiences with librarians who are looking for leadership opportunities or are in leadership roles.

Mentoring Myths

I can’t be a mentor – I don’t have enough experience.

Great mentors have different levels of experiences, skills and backgrounds.  Are you currently in a leadership role? Are you leading a project or other endeavor? Do you want to help someone else succeed and develop their full potential? Do you want to learn about new trends and what other libraries do? Then you’d make a great mentor!

I don’t have the time.

You’ll only need 1-2 hours a month!  And in that time, you’ll make a great impact for one of our colleagues and to our profession.

I can’t meet face-to-face after the conference with a mentee who doesn’t live near me.

Hooray for technology!  You can develop your mentor/mentee relationship by Skype, FaceTime, phone calls, emails and more.

I don’t know what to do as a mentor!

We’ll help you!  Everyone benefits from new experiences and the members of the Mentoring Subcommittee will provide you with guidance, coaching and support throughout the program.  And remember: you can participate as both a mentor AND a mentee!

Don’t undervalue your experience and your potential!  You have a great deal to offer.  If you’re interested in sharing your leadership experiences and passion for librarianship to help a colleague succeed in building their leadership experience, then please consider answering our call for mentors in September.

If you’d like to learn more about the program and being a mentor, please contact Jennifer Friedman at [log in to unmask].

We look forward to hearing from you about becoming a mentor!

Warmly,

The ARLIS/NA Mentoring Subcommittee

Jennifer Friedman

Lynn Cunningham

Shira Loev Eller

Darin Murphy

Mackenzie Salisbury

Jennifer Friedman, Assistant Director for Research Services

USF Libraries, 4202 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL  33620

t: (813) 974-4369  e: [log in to unmask]