Thank you to everyone who made suggestions as to sources for balustrades.
For those who are interested, here are the answers I got:

Have you suggested Andrea Palladio *Four Books on Architecture*, the Dover
reprint includes clear prints. Also worth reviewing would be Vitruvius, *The
Ten Books on Architecture* either the Ingrid Rowland translation or the
Thomas Gordon Smith translation have excellent illustrations. These sources
are more theory that discuss proportion, however, they would have been
familiar to the architects and builders during the Italian Renaissance. The
text will discuss the building elements in relation to the classical order
used for proportions.

 You may wish to refer your student to the Italian Architectural Drawings
Project Collection (IADPC)

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/research/library/imagecollections/core-collection/idapc.html

at the link you will find a description and further information.

*Garden and hall furniture
<http://librarycat.risd.edu/record=b1217269~S1>: vases, pedestals,
sundials, fonts, fountains, tables, benches, balustrades, well heads,
gazing globes and pergolas in Pompeian stone, stone and marble.*

I checked it out and it's just a catalog but each image is accompanied by
height, width, base (and price).

Might this be along the lines you're looking for?  I don't think they are
original Renaissance elements, but individual ones (that can be
purchased).  Anyway, measurements are there.

Another book <http://librarycat.risd.edu/record=b1021277~S4> that has a
whole chapter about balustrades with pictures (but again, no
measurements).  Also might be later (time-wise) than you want....

http://blog.classicist.org/?p=3238

your student may find information is some unlikely sources, such as auction
records.  Your question reminded me of the cover image we used for an issue
of *Visual Resources* (Vol. XXV, No. 3, Summer 2009), which showed a
measured drawing sent to prospective buyers by agents and dealers. This
particular drawing of a pair of Cipollino marble columns and a pair of
Brescia column is in the archive of William Randolph Hearst at Long Island
University. The article "A Reappraisal of the William Randolph Hearst
Archive at Long Island University: Information, Preservation, and Access"
was written by Catherine Larkin.

Measured drawings also appear in restoration documents, which could be
difficult to find, but carry a wealth of information.

How about looking at photos of existing Renaissance buildings to see if
they actually have original balustrades and where they are, and then
searching for drawing sources by building?  The Michelangelo staircase in
the Laurentian Library comes to mind. Possibly searching for plans and
drawings by specific building would be more productive than general
searching.

Making measured drawings of architecture seems to have been a popular
activity in the late 19th and early 20th century.  I know there are many
compilations on American Colonial architecture during that time.  The
following is a text of that genre for Renaissance.  I haven't done a close
examination to tell if there are relevant drawings, but a search for
staircase got hits from the text.

http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/829470.html
Possibly books on the individual architectural monuments would provide more
information than is apparent from catalog records.

 I believe many of the standard publications on the orders of architecture
have measurements for balustrades. Perhaps there is some way you can cross
search for publications for orders and date of publication? I think the
LCSH is "Architecture--Orders". Assumption here is that Renaissance
builders would not have strayed far from Vignola, Scamozzi, et al.   And
don't forget good old BHA. A sad day when it ceased.

*Ornamental Details of the Italian Renaissance* is available on the
Internet Archive - https://archive.org/
I found this using search terms architecture details renaissance, but I am
sure that you could use the book title.  There are details of balusters.

The Digital Library for the Decorative Arts has some architectural pattern
books digitized.

http://www.library.wisc.edu/decorativearts/text-sources/browse-by-subject/

Images are not well searchable by keyword, unfortunately, so its helpful to
"gallery view" and browse the pictures.  Which is very tedious.

In addition to the columns mentioned by Christine Sundt, the William
Randolph Hearst at Long Island University also contains measured drawings
and blueprints of a 15th century Istrian Balcony now installed at San
Simeon (Hearst Castle). Hearst purchased it from Howard Studios in 1922.
They images are not scanned yet. Since its holiday and vacation time,
please give us a couple of weeks notice if you are interested.

have you looked at "A History of Architecture" Banister Fletcher?...It was
the bible for architecture students studying in Florence when I worked
there as a librarian.  I have a copy and in the index are listings for
balustrades....

And finally....This is not an answer to your question Karen, but I can’t
resist reminiscing about a wonderful balustrade on an  upper-level patio of
a house near where we used to live in the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica,
California.  I wish I had taken a photo of it--It was made entirely of
bowling pins!  Don’t know if it’s still there—the whole area has zoomed in
value since we were there and bowling pins probably don’t fit the more
gentrified character of what was a charmingly eclectic neighborhood.  But
bowling pins’ proportions are eerily like Renaissance Italian balustrades.
The fact that they were bowling pins didn’t jump out at you immediately.
I’m sure this last comment will horrify some classicists . . .

Some great resources here! Thanks again, everyone!

Karen at Brown
--
Karen A. Bouchard
Scholarly Resources Librarian for Art and Architecture

Phone: (401) 863-3218

http://libguides.brown.edu/profile.php?uid=56435

Images at Brown blog, latest entry:
https://sites.google.com/a/brown.edu/image-collections-in-the-brown-library/new-posts-1/clevelandrocks

Tweeting all about art, architecture, music & more at: @KbouArtMusic

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Cicero. *Epistulae
ad Familiares*, book IX, epistle 4.