Sarah,
While I question the "vast" historiography (& why wasn't the 1st faculty member more forthcoming & share some basic citations??), here is a basic place to start:
Perhaps that adjective described anti-Ottoman depictions in general & not specifically to Raphael's painting.

Meyer zur Capellen, Jurg.  Raphael A Critical Catalogue of His Paintings.  Landshut : Arcos, 2001- projected 5 volume set.  We have v.1-3.  In volume II: The Roman Religious Paintings ca. 1508-1520: entry for the Transfiguration pp. 195-209.  On p. 199 there is a reference to Ottoman empire with a footnote citing the following:
see summary in Preimesberger 1987, pp.97ff.  From the bibliography this refers to: Preimesberger, Rudolf. "Tragische Motive in Raffaels 'Transfiguration,' Zeitschrift fur Kunstgeschichte, 50, (1987), pp.88-115.  I checked our catalog to see if we might have a monograph on Raphael by Preimesberger and found this:
Paragons and Paragone: Van Eyck, Raphael, Michelangelo, Caravaggio Bernini.    Getty Research Institute, 2011. There is a English translation of Preimesberger's original essay:
Tragic Motifs in Raphael's Transfiguration, p.1-22.  Note especially the discussion on p.7ff.

Jet Prendeville, Art/Architecture Librarian
Fondren Library, Brown Fine Arts Library
Rice University, Houston