Dear ARLIS members,

Please join us for our second Twitter chat this coming Monday. We had a lively discussion last time and we encourage more participants outside of the academic library setting to join in this time! Metaliteracy is an important topic as it pertains to library instruction, but beyond that it is a valuable skill for artists and designers in any setting. Olivia Miller will moderate this chat and she has compiled a list of suggested readings if you'd like to learn more (see details below). No reading is necessary to participate. This live chat will be archived in the ARLIS learning portal for future reference, as well as Storified.

Twitter chat // Use #ARLISriss to participate

Monday, June 27, 2016 at 2pm EST

Moderated by: Olivia Miller @livie_leigh

Topic: Metaliteracy

Questions for discussion:

  1. How do you define metaliteracy?

  2. How do you teach with metaliteracy in mind vs. just information and/or visual literacy?

  3. What opportunities exist to foster metaliteracy through LAM art reference/instruction/info services?

  4. What traits do artists typically have/need to develop as working artists that may be unique to the arts as well as metaliteracy?

  5. Follow up: which ones can be leveraged and shared across disciplines?

Suggested readings:

Jacobson, T. E., & Mackey, T. P. (2013).What’s in a name?: Information literacy, metaliteracy, or transliteracy [SlideShare Slides]. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/tmackey/acrl-2013

Jacobson, T. E., & Mackey, T. P. (Eds.). (2015). Metaliteracy in practice. Chicago: Neal-Schuman.

Mackey, T. P., & Jacobson, T. E. (2011). Reframing information literacy as metaliteracy. College & Research Libraries, 72(1), 62-27. http://crl.acrl.org/content/72/1/62.full.pdf+html

Mackey, T. P., & Jacobson, T. E. (2014). Metaliteracy: Reinventing information literacy to empower learners. Chicago: Neal-Schuman.

Mackey, T., & Jacobson, T. (n.d.). Metaliteracy. Retrieved from https://metaliteracy.org/

Witek, D., & Grettano, T. (2014). Teaching metaliteracy: a new paradigm in action. Reference Services Review, 42(2), 188–208. http://doi.org/10.1108/RSR-07-2013-0035

We look forward to chatting with you!

Best,