Hi Effie,

I've asked a couple of librarians in Singapore, and below are their
Phoebe) directly.

Thank you,
Kanako

---
Kanako Iwase
Visual Resources Librarian
Department of Art and Art History
University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa
2535 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI 96822
[log in to unmask] | 808-956-8781
*Visual Resources Center (VRC)
<http://www.hawaii.edu/art/opportunities/VRC.html> + **Online Image
Resources Guide
<http://guides.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/content.php?pid=94214&sid=780976>*

************************

The Singapore Trust Improvement (SIT) program was actually a program that
contributed significantly to Singapore’s housing and infrastructure. Below
are some resources on the SIT for Tiong Bahru.

   - *Singapore Improvement Trust 1927-1947 *[Book], documentation of the
   program compiled by J.M. Fraser *(There is a physical copy at **Cleveland
   Public Library*
   <https://search.clevnet.org/client/en_US/clevnet/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1255703/one>*
in
   Ohio)*
   - *Our Heritage: Tiong Bahru Heritage Trail
   <http://www.nhb.gov.sg/%7E/media/nhb/files/places/trails/tiong%20bahru/tiongbahru%20%281%29.pdf>
*[Brochure],
   a detailed coverage of the developments of Tiong Bahru published by
   National Heritage Board of Singapore. It also includes a section that
   discusses on housing project.
   - *Tiong Bahru flats will house 1000 by end of 1938
   <http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19371013.2.81.aspx>
*[Newspaper
   article], The Straits Times, 13 October 1937, Page 12
   - *Tiong Bahru housing plan*
   <http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19350420.2.59.aspx>
[Newspaper
   article], The Straits Times, 20 April 1935, Page 12

Honestly, I did not managed to find some good image sources of floorpans
for the Tiong Bahru housing estate in Singapore. However, a search using
the term* “tiong bahru singapore improvement trust”* on *Archive Online*
<http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/> shows some results. They include
photographs, maps and building plans. A search on google images using the
search term *“tiong bahru pre-war floor plans” *also leads to some websites
(mainly property sites) containing images.

Hope this helps!. :)

Thanks and best regards,
Hedren

*Hedren SUM Wai Yuan (Mr) *| Librarian (New Media Group) & Art Librarian
(Design) | NTU Libraries | Student Academic Services Department | Nanyang
Technological University NS3-05, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798 Tel:
(65) 6592-3244 or (65) 6513-7619 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 679-4637 | Email:
[log in to unmask] | Web:www.ntu.edu.sg

NTU Library <http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library> | Blogs@NTU
<http://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/> | ADM Library Blog
<http://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/library/adml> | Design Subject Room
<http://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/library-resources/design> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/hedren>

**************************

This is Phoebe, Hedren’s colleague.

I would like to add to what Hedren have found.

1.      All floor plans of public housing flats in Singapore are kept by
the Housing Development Board (HDB). They are available for purchase online
but the online form is catered for residents/contractors who want to apply
for renovation works. It means that the student can write in the HDB and
request access for research purposes. Not sure how warm the reception would
be, but no harm trying. http://www.hdb.gov.sg/

2.      If the student isn’t looking for comprehensive floor plans of Tiong
Bahru, he can try to manually harvest from a commercial property website
called PropertyGuru. Sellers sometimes include the floor plan of the unit
they are selling. I used map view and found some:
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/19971011/for-sale-82-tiong-poh-road
and
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/19698312/for-sale-81-tiong-poh-road

Warmest Regards,

*Phoebe LIM Choon Lan (Ms) *| Head of Art, Design & Media Library | NTU
Libraries |

Student and Academic Services Department

Nanyang Technological University | 81 Nanyang Drive, ART-01-03, Singapore
637458
Tel: (65) 6316 2909 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6791 4637 | Email:
[log in to unmask] | Web: www.ntu.edu.sg/library

http://www.linkedin.com/in/phoebelim | http://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/lib-adml.