Hello Wisdom.

I know this is a simplistic question for a potentially complex set of problems for those of us dealing with aging physical collections. But here it is. We are an academic library, in a branch environment, with book repairs / bindery operations coordinated centrally. Actually, our library no longer has its own book bindery or repair operation, so we outsource to a retired staff person who used to hold that job. We are reviewing repair needs and costs, given the increased percentage of books needing repair that are out of print and core. What suppliers do you recommend for book repair cloth and supplies, especially those for repairs to spines, hinges and edges. Does ARLIS have a best practices document for binding and care of art books?  Are supplies found in a conventional library supply catalog (e.g. Gaylord, etc.) sufficient for most art book repairs to already well-used books?

In addition, with aging and increasingly out-of-print circulating collections, have you found it more cost effective to repair, rebind (of course one loses a lot with rebinding an art book) or replace? Has anyone done a study of such things?

Reply privately to:

Margaret D. Ericson|Scholarly Resources and Services -- Arts Librarian|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662 Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662