**apologies for cross posting**

I have a question on the separation of archival materials from art collection materials.

Our gallery houses a collection of artworks as well as an archive of artists’ personal records. Occasionally, materials that could be construed as artworks (i.e., pages from sketchbooks, partially finished works, maquettes, drafts of artworks, etc.) make their way into the archives and the issue of whether these items are best suited for the art collection holdings or the archival holdings can be tricky to determine.

Has anyone on the listserv run into similar issues? If so, what criteria do you use make this decision? Has your institution written any sharable documentation or policy on this specific appraisal problem? Sharing any helpful resources you’ve used in the past to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jarin Schexnider, Collections Assistant

MORRIS AND HELEN BELKIN ART GALLERY
belkin.ubc.ca

Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery
The University of British Columbia
1825 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z2
Phone 604 822 2759 Fax 604 822 6689