The Cleveland Museum of Art is celebrating our centennial today. In honor of the occasion we are happy to announce the launch of our digital archive.
With a startup grant from the VRA Foundation the CMA archives has been digitizing historic images of the museum. Over 10,000 images of the building and its construction, the fine arts garden, exhibitions, events, people, and views of Cleveland scanned from original glass plate, nitrate, and acetate negatives are now available at http://digitalarchives.clevelandart.org/ These are the earliest views of the museum, taken by museum photographers to document the institution's history.
The site also includes images from manuscript collections including views of the ghost town Bodie, California, taken by artist John Paul Miller; watercolor views of French villages painted by museum benefactor John Bonebrake; and the Mollie Brudno collection of autographed photos of world renowned musicians, dancers, conductors, and performers (including Yehudi Menuhin, Marian Anderson, and Robert Casadesus) who participated in Mrs. Brudno's Cleveland Concert Course sponsored by CMA.
The web site is keyword searchable across or within collections. Images can be downloaded for research and educational use. It will be updated as more images are scanned.
Leslie Cade
Interim Director of Library and Archives
The Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-1797

T  216-707-2492