Sarah,
While I question the "vast" historiography (& why wasn't the 1st faculty
member more forthcoming & share some basic citations??), here is a basic
place to start:
Perhaps that adjective described anti-Ottoman depictions in general &
not specifically to Raphael's painting.

Meyer zur Capellen, Jurg.  Raphael A Critical Catalogue of His
Paintings.  Landshut : Arcos, 2001- projected 5 volume set.  We have
v.1-3.  In volume II: The Roman Religious Paintings ca. 1508-1520: entry
for the Transfiguration pp. 195-209.  On p. 199 there is a reference to
Ottoman empire with a footnote citing the following:
see summary in Preimesberger 1987, pp.97ff.  From the bibliography this
refers to: Preimesberger, Rudolf. "Tragische Motive in Raffaels
'Transfiguration,' Zeitschrift fur Kunstgeschichte, 50, (1987),
pp.88-115.  I checked our catalog to see if we might have a monograph on
Raphael by Preimesberger and found this:
Paragons and Paragone: Van Eyck, Raphael, Michelangelo, Caravaggio
Bernini.    Getty Research Institute, 2011. There is a English
translation of Preimesberger's original essay:
Tragic Motifs in Raphael's Transfiguration, p.1-22.  Note especially the
discussion on p.7ff.

Jet Prendeville, Art/Architecture Librarian
Fondren Library, Brown Fine Arts Library
Rice University, Houston