Hello Wisdom.

I know this is a simplistic question for a potentially complex set of
problems for those of us dealing with aging physical collections. But here
it is. We are an academic library, in a branch environment, with book
repairs / bindery operations coordinated centrally. Actually, our library no
longer has its own book bindery or repair operation, so we outsource to a
retired staff person who used to hold that job. We are reviewing repair
needs and costs, given the increased percentage of books needing repair that
are out of print and core. What suppliers do you recommend for book repair
cloth and supplies, especially those for repairs to spines, hinges and
edges. Does ARLIS have a best practices document for binding and care of art
books?  Are supplies found in a conventional library supply catalog (e.g.
Gaylord, etc.) sufficient for most art book repairs to already well-used
books?

In addition, with aging and increasingly out-of-print circulating
collections, have you found it more cost effective to repair, rebind (of
course one loses a lot with rebinding an art book) or replace? Has anyone
done a study of such things?

Reply privately to:

Margaret D. Ericson|Scholarly Resources and Services -- Arts
Librarian|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662
Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662