My dear colleagues,

I am helping a researcher who would like to consult the online Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography, but unfortunately, we do not have access
at my library.

Here's what my researcher writes:

Unfortunately the text of the new DNB is -- at least according to my
impressions and what I have read -- all different from the text of the old
DNB. I remember the controversies about the radicalness of the changes from
a decade ago. I have been researching Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel
(1585-1646) -- the first serious collector of classical antiquities in
England -- and there seem to be two essential views about him, the
old-fashioned heroical view (found in two not-very-adequate printed
biographies -- one from 1920 and one from 1985). I am assuming the old DNB
entry on him reflects the old view. But now there is also a post-modern
Arundel with quite a different agenda than the old Arundel -- which I am
seeing in isolated chapters and essays of more recent vintage. I want to
compare the old DNB and the new DNB entries for him and for Sir Thomas Roe
(1581-1644) & Dudley Carleton, Viscount Dorchester (1573-1632) who were
diplomats but also art-scouts for Arundel.

--

My library has the print edition, which the researcher will come in and use
in-person. Would any of you have access to the online Oxford Dictionary of

Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel (1585-1646)
Sir Thomas Roe (1581-1644)
Dudley Carleton, Viscount Dorchester (1573-1632)

I would so very much appreciate any assistance or comments you are willing
to share.

Sincerely,
Gina

--
Gina Solares
Head of Cataloging and Metadata Management

http://www.usfca.edu/library/