I received a few more additions to the compilation list I sent earlier regarding ARLIS responses to a "European Equivalent to JSTOR"  so here is a more succinct list in alpha order with urls and without full verbatim commentary.
Thanks very much again to all who responded. This was very helpful to the scholar who originally posed the question to me.
All best,
Mo

·         Arts: Search
http://www.arts-search.com/
Is digitizing most of the European and North American journals published between the 1830s and the 1920s.  includes several non-English titles, e.g. Das Plakat, Art et Décoration, L'Artista Moderno, Deutsche Kunst ind Dekoration, l'Album, Dekorative Kunst, l'Image, etc....
See also
Arts:Search Research Guide No. 2: Free-access, Digitized Art, Architecture, Design and Craft Journals on the Internet
http://arts-search.com/artssearch-research-guides/research-guide-no-2.html
Arts:Search Research Guide No. 3: Free-access Online Art History Journals, Newsletters and Blogs
http://arts-search.com/artssearch-research-guides/research-guide-no-3.html

·         Cairn (French and Francophone scholarly publications)
http://www.cairn.info/
Subject areas include law, economics, business, geography, history, literature and language, philosophy, psychology, communications, education, political science, and sociology

·         CSIC (the Spanish National Research Council) database

http://bddoc.csic.es:8080/isoc.html
(for more Spanish/Portuguese-language resources consult: SALALM<http://salalm.org/> community

·         Dialnet: https://dialnet.unirioja.es/ <https://dialnet.unirioja.es/>   https://dialnet.unirioja.es/revistas

Features articles from Spain, Portugal, and Latin America.

·         Digizeitschrfiten

https://www.digizeitschriften.de/en/startseite/

·         Europeana

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/

·         Francis
https://www.ebscohost.com/academic/francis

Pan-European database of citations in multiple languages; core academic literature in the humanities<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities> and social sciences<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_sciences> with special emphasis on European literature.

·         Gallica
http://gallica.bnf.fr/

·         OAPEN (for monographs)
http://www.oapen.org/home

·         OpenEdition
https://www.openedition.org/?lang=en

·         Periodici Italiani Digitizzati
http://periodici.librari.beniculturali.it/

·         Persée

http://www.persee.fr/

Mo Dawley