This background information from B.J. is very rational and it is good to know that B.J. was made aware ahead of time of the gift that precipitated this dramatic turn of events at Indiana Unversity.  However, it is nonetheless horrifying.  I remember well the 1984 presentation B.J. made concerning the long, intensive planning and implementation period when she was developing the new library in the I.M. Pei building.  Those of us who were involved at the time with planning new library spaces paid close attention when she told of how closely librarians need to work with the architect and how much seemingly small decisions can affect space.  It was incredibly inspiring!  So—that was a little more than three decades ago.  Is that all the time that we can expect in the life of our libraries?  Money—and collections—obviously talk.  But what is the excuse for the rudeness and abruptness toward the current staff,  According to Jasmine Burns, Interim Head, I.U.’s Fine Arts Library, “no one from the fine arts library was consulted, or even told about the gift and renovation plans until the public press release.”  And now we hear from Judy Donovan, the former Art Librarian of the Barnes Foundation, that likewise, she and her Associate Librarian Laurie Porsia , “were laid off with no notice” when the Barnes board decided to “restructure” the Barnes Foundation Library.  I am devastated and disgusted.  In both cases, this seems to be the corporate voice that is coming down on those who had high hopes and undoubtedly worked ceaselessly to develop the very best intellectural resources for I.U.’s art historians and art history students and the Barnes’ Foundation’s scholars.  What is the message for our youngest members?

Joan M. Benedetti

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Irvine, Betty J.
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Status of IU Fine Arts Library

             In response to the recent announcement about the changing facilities status of the Indiana University Fine Arts Library, I would like to share my observations with members of ARLIS-L.  In the previous two weeks, I had heard about the significant gift to the IU Art Museum by the Eskenazi family in Indianapolis—a gift which also includes a considerable art collection.  This gift is intended to provide funds to renovate and enhance what is now the Eskenazi Art Museum and its galleries.  Since my initial planning of the current FAL in the late 60s, throughout the 1970s and the early 1980s, I always assumed that if the museum needed space, then the library would need to move.

The FAL now occupies over 21,000 sq. ft. or about 20% of the museum building which does not really have external space for expansion; consequently, this change does make sense for the art museum.  Given that we occupied the building in 1981, we have enjoyed a long and complementary history in the museum building. I very much appreciate being informed that there are potential plans to have a designated fine arts collection space in our university libraries building—a welcome possibility at this time.  Thank you for your thoughtful responses to this announcemnt.  B.J. Irvine, Former Director, IU Fine Arts Library