Dear ARLIS Community,

It is with deep regret that I pass along the news that the Indiana University Fine Arts Library will be closing in summer/fall of 2017. Unlike many recent art library closings, this decision did not originate within the library system, but rather from the museum in which we are housed. The IU Art Museum (now the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art) received a $15 million gift to undertake a complete renovation of the interior of the I. M. Pei building, which was matched by the IU campus for another $20 million. A condition of this gift was that the library vacate in order to make room to expand gallery space and create areas for teaching. This, in my opinion, is the most devastating aspect of the decision to kick us out because these spaces could have been the result of a wonderful collaboration between the museum and the library. However, no one from the fine arts library was consulted, or even told about the gift and renovation plans until the public press release.

Never fear, all is not lost! There are preliminary plans to relocate the Fine Arts Library into the main library. The Provost has assembled a working group of department heads and deans to “assist in developing a communication plan and designing the new space.” Although I have been excluded from this group, I am working hard to insert myself with library administration to facilitate the transition from a branch library into a standalone area/collection within the main library, while also maintaining our services, collections, and hopefully some of our autonomy. If any of you have gone through similar transitions, I would love to hear about your experiences.

I know many of you have connections to the fine arts library as well as to the Art Librarianship program, and I would urge you to contact the Provost as well as the Dean of the Libraries to voice your concerns/outrage/general grievances.

Sincerely,

Jasmine Burns

Jasmine Burns, MA, MLIS

Image Technologies and Visual Literacy Librarian

Interim Head, Fine Arts Library

Indiana University Bloomington

1133 E. Seventh St.

Bloomington, IN 47405