Call for Participants: ARLIS-N/A 2017 Panel, Urban Renewal: Art for Change (working title)

Are you interested in urban revitalization? Even better, the ways in which artists, artistic communities, urban designers and city planners are coming together with institutions to make it happen? Were you unable to attend the Urban Planning SIG meeting at the 2016 ARLIS/NA -VRA Joint Conference in Seattle, WA?

Here’s your chance to participate in a panel that arose from the great ideas generated at the Urban Planning SIG meeting! We are interested in hearing from anyone with case studies or papers about urban renewal & urban regeneration projects in cities nationwide. Almost every American urban city has a neighborhood or stretch of streets undergoing revitalization. Does your city fit the bill? Let’s hear about it!

We’re especially interested to hear about art-related projects that have acted as a catalyst for urban regeneration, through or with galleries, libraries, archives, and museums. Perhaps there are artists, artistic communities, pop-up galleries, installations, which have made a difference in urban neighborhoods. Perhaps there are cases we haven’t thought of - surprise us!

Questions could include, but are not limited to:

Timeline

Submit your ideas to us by Monday, May 23

We’ll notify you of acceptance by Friday, May 27

Panel Proposal will be submitted **no later** than Friday, June 3

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Marsha Taichman, Cornell University

Stephanie Beene, University of New Mexico

Stephanie Beene
Assistant Professor, Fine Arts Librarian for Art & Architecture
Fine Arts & Design Library, GPH 435
College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences
University of New Mexico MSC05 3020
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Ph. (505) 277-0679; or @LinkedIn
On Skpe @ stephanie.beene2