Colleagues,

Requests for self-published titles (e.g. through places like Lulu) are increasing through my students and faculty. I always do some of my own background checking and can usually oblige.  Requestors, though, are sometimes not familiar with the author or may see a title that sounds good but don’t know any more about it than that and it can be unclear if the quality and content of the publication meets appropriate standards.

For example this title was requested (published through Lulu): Design Required: Interactive Installation Art Designed to Promote Behavior Change ISBN-13: 9781329077690. Indeed the author seems to map appropriately to the title  http://amyjorgensen.org/Design_Required.html  Samples look interesting.  Installation work is a dedicated area of interest over time--OK, cool. Some good qualifications as an artist, has exhibition record, and teaches.  Her CV doesn’t relay a lot of years of experience but that doesn’t always matter.  What took me aback was the “promote behavior change” in the title as that’s a pretty big claim to make in whatever stage of your profession or life you are in… What kind of behavior change and how?  Maybe she really backs up her thesis without having to go through editors or peers (she seems to be dividing chapters into “case studies”) …. but no way to tell! without buying it for a steep $70.  No member libraries own it in OCLC as yet (though granted it’s new). I may have to contact the author about this for a review copy if available!  What a lot of work!

In any case, comments or advice you may have in dealing with patron requests for self-published titles or anything you can share as regards this topic now or later would be welcome!

Please do not forward or duplicate this message outside the list.

Mo

Mo Dawley

Senior Librarian
Art and Drama Librarian