Hello Colleagues,

I’ve had an inquiry from our School of Architecture.  They’re hosting an exhibition, and would like to include a “reading area,” with books related to the work on display.  I do think this would be a good way to promote some of our holdings, but security is obviously an issue.  The books wouldn’t be in a locked display case… they’d be out for browsing.  And there wouldn't be any security for the exhibition.

Have any of you in Academic Libraries lent books for a purpose like this?  How did you manage it?  Currently, I’m pondering things like using locking cables to ensure that the books don’t wander, and creating a patron account specific to the exhibition (and getting the exhibition coordinators to agree to pay any replacement fees).

I’d be happy to hear from anyone who has attempted something like this (even if it turned out to be a failure!).

Many thanks,

Rebecca Coleman
Research Librarian for Architecture
University of Virginia Libraries