Thanks to all those that participated in this surveyWe appreciate the feedback, and we'll take the opportunity at the FTC SIG meeting in Seattle to discuss options with the group. We invite anyone interested to join us for the meeting which will be on Thursday, March 10, 3:30pm - 5:00pmDue to the short window of time before Seattle, we will go ahead with executing the Librarian Wardrobe collaboration as we have done in the past, with the potential for a new approach at the next conference.

The Fashion Textile Costume SIG and Librarian Wardrobe survey received 62 total responses with 57 (91.9%) individuals responding favorably towards participants photos being featured on the Librarian Wardrobe blog. The Moderator and Vice Moderator of the FTC SIG have analyzed the results of the survey and have summarized people’s reactions to this partnership.

Inline image 2

Question Two (If yes, why?) Themes:

 Question Three (If no, why?) Themes:

*there were five (8.1%) respondents that were not in favor of this opportunity.

Question Four (Do you have any suggestions for how the Librarian Wardrobe ARLIS/NA collaboration could evolve in the future?) Themes:

Question Five (Do you have suggestions for any other fashion-related programming the Fashion, Costume, & Textiles SIG could coordinate?) Themes:

  • Several respondents were interested in a clothing swap meet.
  • One respondent suggested a designer giveaway.
  • A sponsored panel/discussion about ‘what you didn’t learn in library school’ FTC edition.
  • Program suggestions:
    • Feature designers who ethically produce clothing and accessories
    • Study of online shopping and shopping in general in regards to other cultures
    • Discuss how fashion theory and philosophy relates to our professional identity and perception as librarians (specifically art librarians)
    • Information on textile preservation and cataloging
    • Focus on dating garments using archival materials
    • Film screening or invite local design students to show off their work at annual conferences
    • Brown bag lunch workshops: fashion tutorials or evolution of a fashion trend (cardigans)
  • Suggestion to cross-pollinate with similar organizations such as the Costume Society of America.
  • Encourage other members of ARLIS/NA to collaborate with the FTC SIG.
  • Several suggested a fashion show to feature designs created by ARLIS/NA members.
  • Collaborate to create a poster session on fashion in libraries.
  • Blog suggestions:
    • Feature exhibitions that are located around the world
    • Feature new materials that relate to the fashion and costume subject matter
Sincerely,

Carla-Mae Crookendale
(Fashion, Costume & Textiles SIG Moderator)

Nicole LaMoreaux
(Fashion, Costume & Textiles SIG Vice-Moderator)

--
Carla-Mae Crookendale
Visual Arts Research Librarian