Arlisians and their friends near western Massachusetts may be interested in my presentation tomorrow at 4 PM in the Neilson Library at Smith. It will launch the first Northampton Book and Book Arts Fair.  Info is at http://www.northamptonbookfair.com/

The keynote is free and open to the public. Below is the synopsis:

Richard
http://minsky.com
Saved by the Cover: Rediscovering Amelia E. Barr

Although she has now fallen into obscurity, at the beginning of the 20th century Amelia E. Barr [1831-1919] was one of the most popular female authors in America. After seeing a few exceptional publishers' bindings on her novels, Minsky started searching for other titles. He found 70 books issued between 1882 and 1919, some in several different editions, that provide a marvelous set of publishers' bindings representing the transition of cover art from Eastlake post-Victorian styling to Arts and Crafts, Japonisme, Art Nouveau and Poster style. Other formats change our perception of the texts. We see her novel Thyra Varrick in the original manuscript, and as a 1903 illustrated magazine serialization among advertisements for corsets and household supplies. This takes a romance set in 18th century Scotland and, for us, places it in the material culture of turn-of-the-century America.