Dear ARLIS/NA,

Please share!  (apologies if you already have and I missed it) MCJohnsen

From: Simran Thadani [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:15 PM
To: SHARP-L Listserv
Subject: [SHARP-L] Mills College Book Art Program threatened with closure

Dear SHARPists,

​On Monday, October 20, Mills College (Oakland, California) announced that it plans to axe its MFA program in Book Art and Creative Writing.

I write as a "book person", an educator in the humanities, and a concerned citizen (not connected with Mills in any way). From the information currently circulating it is clear that Mills' administration seems more concerned with profitability than with preserving one of its most distinctive and well respected programs. Although book art is adjacent to book history (the principal area of interest for most folks on this listserv), I know you will all agree that it is a vibrant field of study and practice today, and a contributor to the strength and vitality of book studies at large.

I urge you all to join me and 2,600+ others in signing the student-created change.org petition that has been circulating since Monday, when the news first came out.

https://www.change.org/p/save-the-mills-college-book-art-program

You may also reach out to Mills administrators by email:

President Alecia DeCoudreaux: [log in to unmask]
Provost Sharon Washington: [log in to unmask]
Dean of Letters Ajuan Mance: [log in to unmask]

Here is a letter from Professor Kathleen Walkup, who has taught in the Mills program for decades, with some more context:

http://thebookartblog.com/a-letter-from-kathleen-walkup-re-mills-book-arts-closure

It is deeply concerning to note that the Mills administration has established a mere 30-day timeline between announcement and action. All the more reason to raise your voice in support of at least delaying a decision, if not actually keeping the program intact.

All best,

Simran Thadani

Executive Director

Letterform Archive