A straightforward exhibition catalog for a one-venue exhibition organized by the venue can generally be handled well by a routine note as you describe. I would support Joan's statement about making any distinctions about role as clear as possible and feasible.

Sherman Clarke
Alfred, NY

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Joan Benedetti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sheila:

There is also a further distinction I frequently see between a curator (or other exhibitions staff member) who “organizes” an exhibition as opposed to “curating” it.  My impression is that “organized” (whether by the host institution or their staff member) means that another institution actually originated it (and curated it).  If the exhibition travels, the institution that hosts the traveling show can be said to “organize” it for their own venue and their curator can be said to have “organized” it for them.  Of course there is a very big difference in terms of the work (and scholarship) that goes into the original producing and mounting of the exhibition, although when a show originates in one location and then is re-mounted at a very different location (especially if the later venues are very different in size), a good deal of work usually also goes into re-organizing it for the new location.  However, I think it is important to know what the originating institution is (and who the originating curator is if possible). Usually this is made clear in the catalog—though not always.  I think sometimes institutions that host exhibitions that have originated elsewhere want to give the impression in their advertising that a show has originated with them rather than elsewhere.  How much detail you go into when you exhibition catalog the catalog (or book) that accompanies the show is up to you, but I do think that it is helpful to scholars to make the above distinction clear if possible.

Joan

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shelia Cork
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Use of "organized by"

Dear Collective Wisdom.

I have been seeing the phrase "organized by" coming into play a lot more often in the notes field of cataloging records.  I understand that there is a difference between an institution hosting an exhibition, and organizing it.  But, is that difference of importance to those who use the cataloging record?  My standard entry is "... for the exhibition at the ..."

Is this an important enough difference to change our entry?

--

Sheila A. Cork

Librarian

New Orleans Museum of Art