From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tad Suzuki
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Early Neanderthals illustrations?

Dear Collective Wisdom,

I'm looking for early illustrations of Neanderthals from mid-1800 to 1899, possibly in monographs, outside the obvious titles, such as, The Neanderthal skull on evolution (1885) by Bourchier; or Der Fossile mensch dem Neanderthal (1865) by Fuhlrott. My library doesn't have the hardcopies; and my client wants to see hardcopy.

If illustrations (don't have to be scientifically accurate) are published in other monographs, is there an index for systematic search? I can't think of an "Illustration Index" type of tools from 1800s.

For periodicals, I did search Wellesley; Poole's; Illustrated London News Online Archives; and Gale 19th Century UK/US Newspaper & Periodical Collections. Again, lots of digital copies, but not something we have in hardcopy.

I appreciate it if someone has suggestions.

Thanks. Tad

[uvic.ca]

Tad Suzuki MTS MA MLS
Learning & Research Librarian (Fine Arts, Hispanic & Italian Studies)

McPherson Library, William C. Mearns Centre for Learning
PO Box 1800 STN CSC, Victoria, BC  V8W 3H5 Canada
250-721-8213 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/membership/join-arlisna Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>