This question is mostly for academic art librarians, but I’d be pleased to hear from anyone on this.

Does your institution have a policy about citing the source of an image used in publicity even when it’s not under copyright?  It’s common practice for college groups to grab an interesting or famous image of an art work (occasionally out of copyright) and use it for a poster.  I’ve had many conversations with ARLIS colleagues about the ethical practice of citing an artist when a work is used in publicity, regardless of legal requirements.  I’m curious if there are ethical guidelines or institutional polices that other universities use.  I’m once again this year involved in advising campus groups on image use and would like to begin a campaign to include this information on any poster, invitation, T-shirt, etc.

A losing battle for sure but still worth the effort.

Best,

Lee

Lee Sorensen

Lilly Library, Duke University