Colleagues--

A colleague of ours in an area beyond art librarianship needs advice on
indexing software.  If anyone among the ARLISians can lend assistance,
please do contact Sarah off-list.

With thanks on her behalf,
Jenni

--
Jenni Rodda, Manager
Digital Media and Computer Services

****************************

Dear ARLIS-L readers,

I am the Putnam County (NY) Historian, new to public history and from an
academic teaching background. I am reaching out to the library community
directly, seeking assistance: One of my colleagues is transcribing several
Philipstown Town Clerk’s books from the nineteenth century in Microsoft
Word 2010. We are wondering if anyone in the listserv community can offer
advice about indexing software to use in conjunction with this archival
project to make for easier searching of these transcriptions.

Here are our parameters:

MSWord 2010 and PC compatible; indexing for first and last names with
variant spellings; recognition of proper names; capable of creating
hierarchy lists (e.g. Smith, and then all first names under Surname); a
program that will regenerate and/or update frequently with changes;
software that will allow for index output in more than one media—print and
web-based.

This name-based index is different from my previous (though limited)
experience with indexing for academic books. Can anyone recommend open
source or relatively inexpensive indexing software (in the $100-400 range
for one license) that is easy to use and any fine tuning pointers?

Please contact me directly, if you have any suggestions or ideas for us!

Thank you very much for your recommendations,

Sarah Johnson, Ph.D.

Putnam County Historian

68 Marvin Avenue

Brewster, NY 10509

845-808-1420 ext. 44117

Please like *Putnam Historian* on Facebook!