From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Farrell
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Coloring books in academic libraries

https://twitter.com/LisaattheLib/status/637235457852604416/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Lisa Farrell, M.A.L.S.

Director, Library Services

East Central College

Office: BH 163; Mailbox: BH 26

1964 Prairie Dell

Union, MO 63084

636 584-6558

http://www.eastcentral.edu/library/

http://twitter.com/LisaattheLib

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Caroline Eckardt
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Coloring books in academic libraries

Hello Everyone!

The adult coloring book craze has caught on at Salisbury University, and a colleague and I are looking to add several coloring kits (complete with book, set of colored pencils, and pencil sharpener) to our collection in hopes of providing students with a study break activity to help reduce the stress they experience throughout the semester. The current surge in popularity of adult coloring books has them listed along with activities such as yoga and meditation in their ability to provide someone with a relaxing break from their daily stressors, while also stimulating the creative side of the brain. As we are trying to position ourselves as the heart of the institution, we feel that having as many ways as possible to show ourselves to be a place of both serious study and appropriate ‘play’- a place where you can come to do research, let your creativity out and spur yourself on to new avenues of thinking and exploration, etc.-  can only help our image across campus, something that is of the utmost importance with our upcoming move to our new library that is set to open next fall.

Are any other academic libraries out there offering this opportunity to students, or something similar in terms of a “study break” for them? Has it been successful thus far, and what sort of feedback have you received from users? Additionally, are libraries actively collecting these materials and adding them to their collections, either as teaching materials or general items? Please feel free to email me off-list.

Best regards,

Caroline Eckardt

Research & Instructional Librarian

Blackwell Library, #127

Salisbury University

Salisbury, MD 21801

(410) 548-5972

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.