Dear Collective Wisdom:

A grad student in our Art & Design program has sent me the following
question (see below).  I have hunted around but have not identified
this.  I have the 2001 book - Writings of Frank Stella - but nothing
there.  I have looked at various bibliographies in important exhibs.
cats. of Stella's work and still nothing.

I am hoping that this might sound familiar to one of you who are more
familiar with Stella and contemporary art.

Thanks.
Susan

*Begin message from student:*
A painting professor of mine mentioned a quote by Frank Stella a few
times to me while I was in
art school. He claims it came from an essay written by Stella. My
professor read the essay while
in Graduate School and remembers it being one page long. I’m interested
in reading this
“mythical” essay.

He remembers reading the essay in the early 70’s, but doesn't remember
the name, title or any
specific overarching subject associated with it. My guess is the essay
was written prior to 1975.

The quote/passage from the essay:
“the most important aspect of a work of art is the figure ground
relationship”
Frank
Stella (probably paraphrased)

--
Susan A. Davi
Head, Collection Management & Licensed Electronic Content