Topics: database migration / metadata crosswalks and mapping / usability / visual resources & GIS

For about two years, I have been involved in the database migration of our entire digital collection from a proprietary system to an open source in house developed platform. Despite all the preliminary work and preparation, the project presented many unexpected challenges that we had to face. The migration process became also a great opportunity to improve the quality of the metadata of many records and even entire collections.

dPanther, the new Florida International University digital repository, hosts unique digital collections of cultural, historical, scholarly, educational, and community resources held by the university as well as partner institutions. The platform supports a wide variety of formats such as texts, images, audiovisual, and geospatial materials. Currently, developers and designers are working on improving the user experience design based on the first iteration of the usability tests planned to enhance the site.

In one way or another, all institutions at some point have to face data migration. Every institution has its own technical challenges and collection peculiarities that make the migration a complex process.

If you are interested in participating, please email me with your name, institution, and brief synopsis of your topic.

Thanks!

Margarita Mirabal
Digital Collections Librarian
Office GL825
Florida International University Libraries